When check engine light is on, we will connect a OBD2 code reader or scan tool to the OBD2 connector under your dash. A scan tool will read trouble code stored in the computer after finding the problem. However, there are many different code reader on Amazon. We have used the above criteria to put out the list of the best OBD2 scan tool and OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth iPhone adapter you can buy today. Note that we have classified each scanner based on what it does best or what if provided to the user.
The best scanners for a person may not be the same for others so remember what you want to get rid of your device before making the final decision. You should buy a best OBD2 code reader for your car. So, This article helps to know the differences between them and choose the best OBD2 scanner trouble code.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best OBD2 Scan Tool Reviews – Buying Guide 2018
- 1.1 Oxgord CAN OBD2 Scan Tool Simple for Check Engine Light and Diagnostics
- 1.2 Veepeak VP30 Best OBD2 Scan Tool Code Reader Automotive Diagnostic Scan
- 1.3 Autel AutoLink AL319 Best OBD2 Scan Tool CAN
- 1.4 Innova 3100j Code Reader Scan Tool with ABS and SRS for OBD2 Vehicles
- 1.5 Autel AL519 AutoLink Enhanced OBD2 Scan Tool with Mode 6
- 2 Best OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter and OBD2 iPhone Apdater Reviews – Buying Guide 2018
- 2.1 BAFX Products 34t5 OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter Scan Tool for Android Devices
- 2.2 KOBRA OBD2 Wifi Apdater Car Code Reader Scan Tool OBD Scanner
- 2.3 ScanTool OBDLink MX Bluetooth: Professional OBD2 Scan Tool for Android & Windows
- 2.4 BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android
- 2.5 PLX Devices Kiwi 3 OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter Diagnostic Scan Tool for Android, Apple & Windows Mobile
- 3 Difference between OBD2 scan tool and a basic OBD2 code reader
- 4 Conclusion
Best OBD2 Scan Tool Reviews – Buying Guide 2018
When there is a problem with your car, there will be some tracking from the computer performing system monitoring. But another time, it is not obvious! Most of the time your computer’s car will prompt a warning light that there is a problem. A check engine light is illuminated on the dashboard of the vehicle as one indicator will show when there is a problem with the vehicle.
The diagnostic process of the scan tool concern can be very difficult and confusing. Without a device that can communicate with a computer, it is impossible to know what kind of error is occurring. By using a best OBD2 scan tool like OxGord Can OBD II Scanner, the trouble codes stored in the computer causing the light can be retrieved. These codes will give a path of place to go in the diagnostic procedures.
Oxgord CAN OBDII Scanner have 2 button design for simple and easy to use with one plug-in, highly reliable and accurate. Simple Oxgord CAN2 Code Reader do not need a laptop or phone for connect. The same as plug and read code. Oxgord CAN2 Scanner is compatible with most OBD2 vehicle in the US from 1996 to newer. Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ? We will see the pros below.
OxGrod OBD2 Scanner Features
- Easy to use with one plug-in to OBD2 DLC port
- Easy to retrieve and earse DTCs
- Good and accurate for OBD2 trouble code
- Stand-alone unit with out need for an additional laptop/computer use
- Works with all 1996 & newer cars & trucks that are OBDII compliant
- One OBD2 scan tool and user manual
Being a car owner introduces you a lot of responsibility. One of them is to take care of your car and ensure that it works properly. However, as easy as it sounds, it is not an easy task to accomplish. This is because it takes a lot of work and dedication, as well as the need for a reliable diagnostic OBD2 scan tool to analyze the problems and potential issue in your car. To become a responsible car owner, you need an best OBD2 scan tool. It reads the trouble code in the computer on your vehicle and fixes it immediately. If you are planning on buying a Veepeak VP30 scanner ODB2 is one of the best products out there. Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ?
Because the Veepeak VP30 OBD2 code reader allows you to quickly check engine codes and their DTCs on all cars and light trucks that are compatible with OBD2. Although small in size, it’s powerful enough to get as much information as expensive obd2 scanners. It will receive and display vehicle information (VIN), identify the trouble code of the engine, and easily identify the cause of Check Engine Light. It’s easy to use, just plug in and you’re read trouble code. Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ? We will see the pros below.
Veepeak VP30 Scanner Features
- It can identify the engine trouble code for the hassle and erase the trouble code later. Veepeak VP30 also checks the DTCs code and definitions for them.
- It can review the I/M readiness of your car.
- This is a cost effective solution as it functions like many expensive scanners. This is one of the cheapest scanners around.
- There is no battery needed to operate this scanner. Power is your car battery. Just plug this scanner into your OBD2. In addition, it can be operated without an additional device such as a laptop or cell phone. The device can also be used with additional equipment and software.
- It comes with a 30 day guarantee. The manufacturer also offers a one year replacement warranty.
The automotive industry is constantly changing. This includes the technology being used in today’s vehicles. With the introduction of OBD II, there have been many changes to the vehicle’s performance. Almost every system on the car is controlled by a computer. Some systems operate from their own modules, or share modules with other systems. In order for a computer to monitor these systems, it uses different sensors to get the data it needs. This makes it very difficult to diagnose a problem with a vehicle as many of these sensors and systems work together. Without proper tools, the average person would not have a clue to start when referring to diagnose problems with their vehicle. Autel Al319 scan tool concern is a perfect example of best OBD2 scan tool reviews.
Many people think that a trouble code from a OBD2 scanner tool is the only answer needed to fix a problem with their vehicle. This is not the case because the trouble code simply points to the general direction of what is causing the light. With proper scanning engine, surmise where to start can be eliminated. Autel AutoLink AL319 is a perfect example of an affordable scanning tool that can assist in diagnostic procedures. This scanner tool not only gives you access to diagnostic trouble codes, but also other options to help in any of the related light test inspection tools. Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ? We will see the pros below.
Autel AL319 Scanner Features
- Compatible with all OBD2 vehicles sold in the United States, including newer cars using CAN or CAN-BUS. Will also work on light trucks, SUVs and minivans, whether imported vehicles in the country, Europe or Asia.
- Support One-Click I/M Readiness Key.
- Trouble code definition with pending, freeze frame and store.
- Colorful LED screen
- Support live data for OBD2 PCM.
- Upgrade via internet.
This Innova 3100j code reader is a self-running device capable of providing any user with important information to troubleshoot a vehicle. It can display you about the current trouble code, pending trouble codes, permanent trouble code and what emission monitoring tasks have been run. The Innova 3100j scan tool comes with a pamphlet describing how OBDII works. This scan tool also includes a trouble code definition for a number of different vehicles. The only downside is that you have to pay extra to get information through innova.com about some trouble code definitions, full diagnostic reports and possible causes. It’s one of the best obd2 scan tool selling ever sold at Amazon. Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ? We will see the pros below.
Innova 3100j Scanner Features
- Innova 3100j scan tool can quickly reveal the reason for the check engine light warnings. The trouble code appears on the screen for at least 30 seconds (very fast).
- Innova 3100j scan tool reads the code and erase them. Code related errors on SRS and ABS can be read and solved.
- Innova 3100j is best code reader also checks the vehicle’s charging system. You can do scan tool using battery or function generator check in this scanner.
- This scan tool has an oil reset procedure. Resetting is easy because instructions are written step by step.
- When the MIL is on, the 3100j scanner will automatically display code freeze frame the status of the fuel supply, engine coolant temperature, etc.
- The company has a web-based service. On the web, drivers and technicians will be assisted to accurately and promptly diagnose their problems. They will be provided with repair costs, verified fixes, hard ratings and so on. But It not easy using for DYIer.
- Customer support services may be provided. English and Spanish are the languages used for this web service. You will be able to talk to certified technicians when you access this service.
What we are looking for is a best OBD2 scan tool that provides all professional data readings on one side and inexpensively gives us another asset, especially at the time of our business is just catching up. So we were looking for scan tool at average prices. Based on experience and my own research, we finally bought the Autel AL519. The Autel AL519 Professional Scan Tool lacks some technical features that make you unsure to go shopping in the end. Professional technicians look for additional ABS and SRS data from their diagnostic scanners. For safety precautions, reading data is necessary and there is a huge need for it. This is a feature that AL519 scan tool lacks and should be considered before purchase. However, reading ABS and SRS compared to light engine data is not essential but nonetheless important. Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ? We will see the pros below.
Autel AL519 Scanner Features
- Autel AL519 scan tool features an I/M ready feature that allows users to perform quick checks on the drive cycle and readiness for emissions.
- The device can obtain information from the vehicle manufacturer, pending code and vehicle information such as VIN, CIN and CVN.
- Autel AL519 scan tool can turn off the check engine lights for broken systems. Then, remove the trouble code and reset all I/M.
- This Autel AL519 scan tool is compact and portable. You can take scan tool anywhere. Include case, USB cable, OBD2 cable, CD and User guide.
- Autel AL519 scan tool can read sensor live data directly. The playback function is available.
- The device can also view freeze frame information and read PCM data streams.
- The DTC definition and menu is written in several languages, including French, Spanish and English.
- The system for this tool is internet updateable. In addition, you are allowed to print all the code and information retrieved using your computer.
Best OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter and OBD2 iPhone Apdater Reviews – Buying Guide 2018
The best OBD2 adapter will monitor vehicle sensors, check fault codes, and perform quick scans and diagnostics. Best OBD2 adapter need connect with mobile devices (smartphones, PDAs, or tablets) to become diagnostic scan tools when plugged into the vehicle’s OBD2 connector via Wifi, Bluetooth or USB adapter cables. However, there are many different OBD2 dongle on Amazon. You should buy a best OBD2 Bluetooth adapter for your car. Or a best OBD2 iPhone adapter for your job.
How to find best OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter, OBD2 iPhone Adapter:
- Each OBD2 adapter is the different requirements for Android or iPhone devices.
- The buyer best choise a OBDII devices work with most cars/light trucks.
- The kind of protocols: ISO 15765 High CAN, ISO 15765 Medium CAN, ISO9141, ISO 14230 KWP2000, SAE J1850 VPW, SAE J1850 PWM, SAE J1939,..
- And, Understand what Android/ iOS apps or software is included with the unit, is compatible with the unit, or must be purchased or subscribed to separately.
The BAFX Products Adapter works on ALL vehicles located in the USA that are model year 1996 or newer.
Many tools CLAIM to work on all vehicles but have problems with the J1850 & CAN protocols. But BAFX Adapter works on ALL protocols AND we actually mean it. The BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth adapter will: Last longer, have more stable connections, give faster data rates & work smoother on ALL vehicles compared to our competitors. Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ? We will see the pros below.
- NOT COMPATIBLE WITH iOS DEVICES
- Modify BAFX OBD2 Adapter MSCAN using FORScan
To use the OBD reader you will need to install a 3rd party app from the Android Store or online. Apps range in price from $0 – $5 with specialty apps costing up to $60. PC programs range from $0 – $50.
When used with proper software, you can:
- This device is suitable for reading the diagnostic (or DTC) code, as well as for generic or specific manufacturers, plus can express their meaning.
- Connect to your Android smartphone and can be used with the free (or paid) application, Torque. Get torque because you do not want to use the general software provided
- Compatible with Android phones – but (currently) not useful with iOS devices.
- One Year Manufacturer’s Warranty
- Inexpensive and reliable – when you remember the reliability of the device, nothing in the OBDII scan you may encounter in the market is cheap. This does not depend on the capabilities of the wide user that it provides.
- Contrary to most competitors, BAFX’s OBDII scanner comes with much lower value for service.
- Excellent durability – this device will work, but it will last as long as the life of your car will last. In regards to this, there is no requirement for additional OBDII scanning devices in your home.
- Faster and faster data delivery: This Bluetooth device is also considered to be more effective in providing data directly to its owner when compared to conventional scanning devices. Detects and transmits better and faster details with this device.
When your check engine light is on before visiting the mechanic- save money by fixing simple problems yourself. Very easy to use as it is compatible with iOS, android and windows devices this top notch scan tool can connect to any iOS, android and windows device via Wi-Fi. You just need to plug it onto the diagnostic link connector, connect it with your device and follow the code reading procedure to diagnose any existing problem. Turn your car into a smart car! unlock data from your cars onboard computer – enjoy a real time feed of data streaming form your cars computer giving you a peek into the inner workings of your car’s brain. Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ? We will see the pros below.
KOBRA Wireless OBD2 Features
- Read and clear trouble codes, turn off the MIL “Check Engine” light as well as display current sensor data with your iPhone or iPad by using any one of many readily available free/paid apps.
- Comes with on/off switch and three LED indicators: turn it off when not in use to save vehicle battery power. LED indicators give you direct working status of the scanner.
- Note: please connect your phone to the network created by this device “WiFi_OBDII”. For iOS devices, you can do the following setting to enable cellular data: Set a static address under the WiFi settings IP 192.168.0.11, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.0.10. For Android, please choose Bluetooth version if you want internet access.
- Works on 1996 and newer vehicles located in USA that are OBD2 compliant including (supports EOBD or JOBD depending on the country. Check the emission label under the hood and see if there is OBD certified wording. Hybrid or electric vehicles not supported).
- Support OBD-II protocols: ISO15765-4 (CAN), ISO14230-4 (KWP2000), ISO9141-2, J1850 VPW, J1850 PWM. For your vehicle to be OBD II compliant it must have a 16-pin DLC (Data Link Connector) under the dash and the Vehicle Emission Control Information Label must state that the vehicle is OBD II compliant.
ScanTool 426101 OBDlink MX: A compact OBDII Bluetooth adapter, easily glued to your gloves and does not require cables (only Android or Tablet PCs). The OBDlink MX plugs into your vehicle’s OBD-II port and displays information to your smartphone, tablet or laptop screen. Although the OBD-II Bluetooth adapters are becoming more and more popular, OBDlink MX offers higher specifications and performance than most of its competitors. Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ? We will see the pros below.
- Maximum vehicle coverage (Verify your vehicle is OBD-II compliant)
- Supports SW-CAN & MS-CAN protocols
- World’s fastest Bluetooth OBD-II adapter
- Small form factor
- Read and clear “Check Engine” light
- Automatic sleep and wake-up
- Free Android app and Windows diagnostic software
- More 3rd party app and software options
- Free firmware updates
- Legislated OBD protocols:
- ISO 15765-4 (CAN 250/500 kbps, 11/29 bit)
- Keyword Protocol 2000 (ISO 14230-4)
- ISO 9141-2 (Asian, European, Chrysler)
- VPW (GM) SAE J1850
- PWM (Ford) SAE J1850
- SAE J2411 Single-Wire CAN (SW-CAN) – GM proprietary network
- Medium-Speed CAN (MS-CAN) – Ford proprietary network
BlueDriver OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner is my go-to scanner. If you need to get yourself a best OBD2 scan tool and small size. I would seriously consider the BlueDriver Bluetooth because not only can you read and clear the check engine light codes, you can also read and clear airbag, transmission, ABS, and other module codes (for Ford, GM, Chrysler and BMW vehicles). Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ? We will see the pros below.
BlueDriver OBD2 Bluetooth Features:
- BlueDriver Apps (iOS/Android) Free: Easy to install on Apps Store and Play Store. It is designed beautiful user interface and free download.
- Fast data transfer sensor: BlueDriver Sensor (Adapter) is faster transfer vehicle data to your phone. The same real time data from your car.
- Read and Clear trouble codes: It is read Engine Trouble Codes, ABS Trouble Codes, Airbag Trouble Codes and Transmission Trouble Code.
- Quickly repair report: Report trouble code can send via email and get the repair procedure from identifix. So, BlueDriver helps easy to fix the problem.
- Smog Check program: Easy to tab smog check with BlueDriver OBD2 Scan Tool. It will show pass or fail on your car.
- Small size sensor: with 2.2 x 1.9 x 1 inches dimension and 2.4 ounces, It is small best OBDII scan tool.
PLX Devices Kiwi 3 OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter Diagnostic Scan Tool for Android, Apple & Windows Mobile
The power of information in your hands Kiwi 3 is a plug and play automotive tool that connects to the onboard diagnostic port (OBDII / CAN), retrieves information from your car’s computer, and wirelessly transmits to your smart phone, tablet, smart watch, or PC. The smallest, fastest, and most versatile OBD2 adapter yet Kiwi 3 is up to 4 times faster than the nearest competitor and uses ultra low power allowing you to leave your device installed permanently in your vehicle. Compatible with all standard OBDII protocols, Kiwi 3 installs in seconds. Firmware can be updated via Bluetooth and employs a nearly invisible design. When inserted into your OBDII port, Kiwi 3 sits just 0.68 inches thin making it the smallest and most discrete OBDII adapter. Why it should be on best OBD2 scan tool reviews list ? We will see the pros below.
PLX Kiwi3 OBD2 Bluetooth Features:
- Professional-grade automotive diagnostic OBD2 OBDII scan tool for smart devices
- Cross platform compatible – Works with Android, iOS (iPhone/iPad), and Windows mobile.
- High speed / low power consumption – 4x faster and consumes less energy than the nearest competition
- Vehicle compatibility – compatible with all cars and consumer trucks built and sold in the United States after January 1, 1996
- App compatibility – Supports industry leading apps Torque, Harry’s Lap Timer, DashCommand, OBD Car Doctor, CarSys,…
Difference between OBD2 scan tool and a basic OBD2 code reader
- An OBD2 scan tool and OBD2 code reader can be considered one and the same, but there are a few things that they detach.
- You can read and erase the OBD2 trouble code with a basic code reader, and an best OBD2 scan tool can do the same. But that’s the end of the analogy, because an best OBD2 scan tool can do much more than just show code.
- The best OBD2 scan tool can provide a broad knowledge base with just one click. This means you can get more information about the trouble codes in your car and a obd2 scan tool can also suggest possible trouble code fixes for any type of trouble code (current trouble code and permanent trouble code).
- An expensive scan tool will also allow you to print diagnostic and performance data in your computer. Depending on the brand and software used, scan tool can display performance charts so you can easily analyze engine performance and emissions.
- We are not saying that OBD2 code readers are cheaper than expensive a best OBD2 scan tool, because they all depend on your level.
- Code reader can not provide troubleshooting information, read manufacturer specific trouble codes including ABS and airbags(SRS) trouble code, create a graphical representation of vehicle live data, print car information and adjustments. Results and record or playback engine live data. If you want these features, then you will get a bestOBD2 scan tool instead of a basic OBD2 code reader.
A comprehensive best OBD2 scan tool reviews guide on choosing the OBD2 scan tool for your car. Before buying a car aftermarkets scanner, you should take the time to find out the OBD2 protocol of your car so you can choose the best obd2 scan tool for the job.
Remember that cheap is not necessarily equal to poor performance. Considering the list of basic code reader, OBD2 Bluetooth adapter and advanced scan tool, you will find it easy to find out which best obd2 scan tool to buy on the price, features and expertise of the DIYer.
It does not matter if you are an expert or if you do not know anything about cars. Getting an best OBD2 scan tool is the best way to save time and money on car repairs. With the wide range of OBD2 scanners iPhone and OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner present, even novice enthusiasts can quickly learn much about the fascinating world of engine computer and car electronics.
- obd2 scanner
- obd2 scantool
- best obd2 scan tool reviews
- obd2 scanner reviews
- best scan tool for home mechanic
- best obd2 scanner for the money
- obd2 bluetooth scanner
- best professional automotive scan tool
- best obd2 adapter bluetooth
- automotive scan tool in the world