Table of Contents
Many Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Mazda models are equipped with MSCAN bus, in addition to HSCAN bus. ELM327 is supported HSCAN bus, MSCAN bus is not supported by the stock OBD2 ELM327 adapter, because MSCAN bus is a Ford protocol specific solution and on non-OBD2 pins. However, ELM327 is very flexible tool. You need small modification to add the MSCAN bus support.
How to modify ELM327 with HS/MS CAN switch
The ELM327 OBD2 adapter supported HSCAN bus from stock, because HSCAN bus completely with OBD2 standards. It is support pins 6 and 14. With MSCAN bus occupies pins 3 and 11. The photo below will show the thing (ATTENION: the OBD2 socket on the photo means vehicle one ” OBD2 female”. The adapter is one is “OBD2 male”, so it is “mirrored”.)
The easy methold to implement MSCAN bus support by add a SW that will shift between MSCAN/HSCAN bus. The picure below will show the modification (ATTENION: the OBD2 socket on the picture means one “OBD2 female”. The ELM327 OBD2 adapter is one is “OBD2 male”, so it is “mirror”. The pin are often mixed up because of this. Always remember pins on OBD2 socket. That will help you fast modification)
What are you need modification MSCAN bus?
- You need buy a 6 pin mini-switch of ON-ON type (for example, MTS-202-A2) in any shop that sells electronic components, also prepare a wire.
- Disassemble ELM327 OBD2 adapter(carefully remove the label that hides 4 screws, unscrew them).
- Find a place for the mini-switch (most complex part of the whole operation for some devices that are extremely compact).
- Unsolder wires from pins 6 and 14 of the OBD2 adapter jack and solder them to the 2 middle pins of the mini-switch ON-ON.
- Solder 2 new wires from 2 outer mini-switch pins to pins 6 and 14 of the OBD2 adapter jack.
- Solder 2 other new wires from 2 other outer mini-switch pins to pins 3 and 11 of the OBD2 adapter jack.
- Check the work (it is very important to do not mix CAN-L and CAN-H wires up!) and assembly the ELM327 OBD2 adapter, mark the MSCAN bus and HSCAN bus position on the device box to avoid confusion.
How to use FORScan with EML327 MSCAN
FORScan version no.2 has support of MS CAN bus and optimized for using the HS/MSCAN switch. There is no necessity to adjust any ELM327 OBD2 adapter parameters for MSCAN bus. FORScan makes all the necessary changes in an automated mode. When FORScan establishes a vehicle connection, it analyses the vehicle configuration. Module MS CAN bus are supported, FORScan will ask user about HS/MS CAN switch.
It means FORScan doesn’t expect a presence of MS CAN bus and is not going to look for it. If user confirms the MS/HS switch presence, FORScan will ask user to shift the bus, for example:
Using the HS/MS CAN switch (minimize number of necessary shifts) with FORScan version 2. For example, reading DTCs in all of 5 HS CAN modules and 2 MS CAN modules will always require only 1 shift. Please share it, if this article helps you. If you have BAFX OBD2 adapter, you can modify same as ELM327. Please read modify BAFX adapter or BAFX adapter reviews.
reference from forscan.org
- elm327 mscan
- modify mscan elm327
- modify elm327 ford mazda
- elm327 switch
- mscan hscan
- mscan switch